Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Musings on astrology and relationships - I - Parallels with inorganic chemistry

Many people pooh-pooh astrology as a pseudo-science, as a superstition that has been handed down the ages. I don't know how accurate astrology is when it comes to predicting the future or when it comes to even analyzing relationships. However, I must say it has introduced me to the areas of psychology, compatibility and the concept of astronomical transits affecting each individual differently.

I frequent the following sites - astrology.com, astrocenter.com, cafeastrology.com and the website of British astrologer, Jonathan Cainer. The latter offers philosophical advice which I find very interesting to ponder on.

I've learnt the following from my brief foray into this field:

Each individual chart contains the Sun, the Moon and the other planets in a certain sign at a certain degree. Based on the time and location of birth, one also has the houses in the various signs at their respective degrees. Thus, two people with the same sun sign may not have the same ascendant or the same moon sign.
Each individual chart is thus unique though I am not sure if there are people born in different years who may, by an accident of fate, have the exact same chart with all the signs and their respective degrees.

I have been fascinated by synastry and relationship astrology. There is something called the composite chart that is the product of merging two individual charts. The relationship itself is supposed to be a separate entity other than the individuals themselves. This makes perfect sense.

I often think of astrology and relationships in parallel with inorganic chemistry.  Each individual, with unique DNA, is like the atom of an element in the periodic table. We all have something in common as human beings, just like all elemental atoms have protons and electrons. However, although human beings all have the same number of chromosomes unlike elements that have different numbers of protons and electrons, each of us has a different combination of genes in our DNA codes.

Each of us has a distinct personality, our reactions to circumstances are different and more importantly, we ourselves cannot predict whether our beliefs and choices will remain the same over a period of many years. Added to that are various external factors such as the influence of religion, culture and socio-economics.

When we form relationships, we create a compound - a molecule comprising of two distinct individual entities. Just as all compounds don't get oxidized at the same rate or disintegrate when stressed by the external environment, so, too, all relationships will not end up having the same outcome when subjected to the harsh stresses of life.

Some elements are extremely volatile. Some people find it really hard to stay in a relationship whereas some find it harder to let go.

Astrology is more a tool of self-analysis for me. How do I feel when I am reading a particular horoscope about my career or relationships? Am I thrilled? Sad? Do I really want things to work out in a certain way?

The limitations of astrology personally for me, have been getting biased about people or events in advance and forming a preconceived idea about the person based on their sun sign and other characteristics. Also, an astrological portrait, even if one assumes that it is accurate, does not take into account the most defining characteristics of a person - namely, his or her ancestry (parents) and upbringing.
It is nevertheless a fascinating subject.

I have something to say about the treatment of relationships by modern psychology and astrology but that's a whole different subject for another post which will follow soon.

No comments: